As I write these words, it’s our wedding anniversary. A few years ago (actually, it’s a little more than a few), our gracious God blessed me with the greatest treasure He’s given me outside of Jesus and the salvation to be found in Him. He blessed me with my wife and best friend. I cannot begin to count the innumerable ways her godliness, grace, and thoughtfulness have blessed my life.
Through the years, one of the things I’ve learned is while many may alter and corrupt God’s will for marriage, no one ever will improve it. In a very real sense, the best marriages involve three – a man, a woman and God (cf. Genesis 2:18-25; Matthew 19:4-6).
I want to share just a few foundational thoughts concerning marriage. As you’ll quickly see, nothing that follows is original – it ultimately comes from the Author, Sustainer, and Strengthener of marriage. Thinking about this divine instruction on a daily basis can’t help but bless marriages and families. And they often make an eternal difference too!
- “Let marriage be held in honor among all” (Hebrews 13:4).
- “Oh, magnify the LORD with me and let us exalt his name together!” (Psalm 34:3).
- “Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain” (Psalm 127:1).
- “An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels” (Proverbs 31:10).
- “Love is patient and kind” (1 Corinthians 13:4). “Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things” (1 Corinthians 13:7).
- “Many waters cannot quench love neither can floods drown it” (Song of Solomon 8:7).
- “Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her” (Ephesians 5:25).
- “Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered” (1 Peter 3:7).
My prayer is that more men and women everywhere will seek God and come to experience the joys of His will in marriage. And “Happy Anniversary” to my wife and best friend!